Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Groceries - What the $%&*@#?

I wanted to copy an image of a bag of groceries, but I haven't figured out a way to copy images from the web yet. Maybe one of my blog friends can give me some advice about that. My query is about groceries. How can I cut back and save money. My sweet, cheep little sister brags all the time about how she only spends $200/month on groceries. How the crap do you do it? Send me a list, I don't believe it. I spend more than twice that much. Do you have a separate budget category for non-food items like paper towels and diapers. Perhaps I'll try that next month. What do you eat? How is that budget buying any kind of produce? Please help me with this. I see ads for Albertson's where you can get 10 items for $15, but are you really saving if you don't pick items that you always use? And... is it cost-effective to go to different stores. Plus, I HATE WAL*MART!!! I like to get most of my shopping done at Macey's, is this why I'm failing miserably at a decent grocery budget? HELP!! We desperately need to save money so that we can do this whole in-vitro thing and add to our family. My grocery budget is the largest variable in my budget, I really want to do better. Any advice?

5 comments:

Aly said...

Oh, man am I in the same boat. I would love to know how Kandy does it too. I tried to start a neighborhood meal exchange but didn't get to far and it didn't save any money with just 2 of us doing it. I spend 5 times as much as Kandy with a family of 5 but I include everything including gas for our cars, but we always and I mean always go over that somehow. I did see something on Good Things Utah about a lady who when she cooks makes enough to freeze so when you are in a hurry or don't have enough time to cook you aren't tempted to go out because you have something you can thaw and eat. I haven't looked into it too much but I do know I have the info around here somewhere if you want it. Love ya tons, Ang

Breinholt Gang said...

Holly, I have showed you my list. I even put the paper towels and shampoo into that same budget. I swear. I am not lying. What I do is price match too, but that means you go to walmart. But I use to shop at Macey's and they have good deals. What you need to do it plan out the meals. Have food that will work for two or three nights. For example. Tacos work for hamburgers and also a salad. Everything that you need for both and then the veggies don't go bad. Use half the hamburger one night for hambergers then use the other half for tacos. You use the same tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, and onions for both. See.. Then have a salad with the other veggies for lunch or something and there is three meals out of one hamberger and veggies.

Denise said...

I also need serious help. You could save a bundle if all you ate was processed foods, but I'm not that fond of top ramen. I know some people, like Kandy obviously, are geniuses when it comes to bargain hunting, but I am not one of them. Part of the problem is I don't want to cut coupons and I don't want to have to buy the store's weekly specials. It's rare when Albertson's has something on their ten for fifteen promotion that I actually ever buy. So I guess I'll just pay through the nose for my laziness.

Megan and Jon said...

Holly, where do you and Danny live? I have been doing this thing called grocerysmarts.com and Love it I really do save alot and it is easy. On my blog is a link on how to get there called the obesessive shopper. check it out.

Dawn and Chase said...

I am not so great on that for myself, but I think most of our grocery budget is sucked up by soda. I don't know about you guys, but we probably buy enough to single-handedly keep Pepsi in business. What has helped us cut back on costs as well is we hardly buy any meat from the stores. Since Chase and his family hunt so much, we live off of his Elk, Moose, or Deer meat. I didn't believe we could really save any money by doing that, but all we buy really is Chicken. It has saved us a bunch of money. We probably pay $200 a month on groceries, but I know if we stopped buying soda we'd save a bunch more!